Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Canned Coleslaw

Chickens in the Road brings us a yummy sounding canned side dish: coleslaw.  The recipe, as written makes 3 pints. I doubled it.  I will add just a touch more liquid to the brine as I needed about a Tablespoon more to top off the last jar. It tastes wonderful!  It's not at all like fresh coleslaw, but it is a good side dish in its own right.


1 medium head cabbage
1 large carrot
1 green pepper (I prefer red)
1 small onion
1 teaspoon salt
Syrup
1 cup vinegar
¼ cup water
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon celery seeds
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
Shred together vegetables. Add the salt. Let stand 1 hour.

Drain water from vegetables. (I also rinse and drain.) Boil syrup ingredients together for 1 minute. Cool.

Add syrup to vegetables (or vegetables to the syrup like I did).

Pack into quarts or pint jars.

Process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.

If you don’t want to can it, you could put it into freezer containers instead and freeze. Leftovers may also be frozen. This slaw may be drained before use and mayonnaise added, or used as is.


No comments: