Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Beef Bacon and Barley Stew

I made a very good stew from leftovers last night.  I didn't use a recipe, but created as I went. Here's the rundown. You can always use freshly cooked meat if you don't have any in the fridge. 

Beef Bacon and Barley Stew

1 1/2 pounds leftover smoked tritip (if using other beef, add a few drops of liquid smoke to the liquid portion of the recipe)
1 cup crumbled leftover bacon
1 pound bag of mixed vegetables
4 quarts water 
1 1/2 Tbsp beef broth powder
1 cup pearled barley
salt and pepper to taste
spices of your choice (I use an MSG-free rub we buy from a small local supplier.  They do not sell online.)

For roux:
1 cup milk
1/2 cup flour

Since my meat was already cooked, I simply threw everything into the pot (except the roux) and just brought it to a boil, then simmered for about an hour.  If you are using fresh meat, I would add lard to the empty pot and brown the meat (cut into chunks and seasoned with spices of your choice) before adding anything else. 

After simmering, bring the stew back to a boil.  Mix milk and flour together to make a roux.  Don't let it be clumpy!  Whisk into boiling stew and cook until thickened. Adjust the seasonings, adding more salt, pepper and seasonings until you like the taste. Now it's ready to serve! 

I love how the house smells when I am simmering soup and making bread.  I paired this meal with 40 Minute Rolls, and it was SO satisfying! 


No comments: